Follow Us

Update on leaves and accommodations for higher-risk employees

Last week, district leadership also notified non-instructional paraprofessionals and school bus aides that the CEO is mandating that they are to physically return to work in school buildings, primarily to serve as monitors at the district’s newly established student learning centers. Despite our objections, the district is not making these assignments voluntary or offering hazard pay. Some staff may be eligible for leave or accommodations due to their personal, family, and/or health circumstances. Staff members who believe they are eligible for leave or who would like to request a reasonable accommodation, either because they are at higher risk of getting very sick from COVID-19 or under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), should do so as soon as possible. All requests are evaluated by the school system on an individual basis.
• Click here for information on leaves: Guidance on Leaves.
• Click here for the form for Accommodations for Those at Higher Risk.
• Click here for the form for ADA Accommodations.  
In addition to non-instructional paraprofessionals and school bus aides, school secretaries, office assistants, and some community school site specialists are the only other BTU classifications that are required by the district to work from school buildings at this time. While this could change at the CEO’s discretion, all other BTU affiliated job titles, such as instructional paraprofessionals, teachers, ITAs, and so on, currently cannot be required to work from school buildings. If an administrator is requiring on-site work for one of these classifications, contact your BTU Field Rep immediately.
For all staff, regardless of whether you’re working on-site or remotely, if you are directly affected by COVID-19, meaning you are experiencing COVID-19-like symptoms, caring for someone else with COVID-19-like symptoms, or caring for a child whose school or child care facility is closed, and therefore are temporarily unable to work, this may qualify you for public health emergency leave, which does not deduct from your earned sick leave. The process for requesting this leave is different. Upon notifying your administrator, you need to immediately complete the Public Health Emergency Leave Request Form. Your administrator should place you on administrative leave, and all further paperwork or sharing of medical information should happen through the Office of Human Capital, not through your school administrator. Please contact your BTU Field Rep if you need support.